The Kansas Autism Spectrum Disorders website is funded as part of the TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports project. We are part of the Technical Assistance Support Network (TASN) projects and are funded through a Title VI-B grant from the Kansas State Department of Education's Special Education Services and administered by Keystone Learning Services.
TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports mailing address is: KUMC/TASN, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Mailstop 3055, Kansas City, KS 66160
The Mission of TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports is to support Kansas school districts in building local capacity to serve students with diverse learning needs through results based professional development training and technical assistance.
TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports provides the following services:
1. TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports maintains a lending library that is accessible online. Materials may be checked out for 3 weeks. Library patrons are responsible for the cost associated with returning the materials to the lending library;TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports covers the cost of sending those materials to the patron.
2. Development of Autism Interdisciplinary Teams through a two day training that is offered annually. The training is provided free of charge to school districts in Kansas.
3. On going training through the TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports Training Series that is provided through the ITV Network and broadcast to 13 regional sites statewide. The training series is developed each year with the assistance of the Autism Consortium that includes faculty from the Fort Hays State University, Pittsburg State University, University of Kansas, Emporia State University and Wichita State University. Those universities offer three hours of graduate credit for the completion of the training series and additional assignments. For those who wish to attend the training sessions without earning graduate credit, the sessions are provided without charge; those who wish to earn credit are responsible for the costs associated with that endeavor.
4. Our Regional Consultants (RACs) provide direct observation and consultation to districts who have exhausted their local expertise and request the assistance of the Kansas Instructional Support Network. The regional consultants are full-time employees of districts throughout the state. TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports purchases days from their contracts in order to bring their expertise to districts throughout the state that lack that expertise. The RACs provide consultation and district tailored training. When a district request consultation or training, a RAC may be assigned, if a TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports member isn't available.
5. Districts may also request training tailored to meet their specific needs. In cases where districts request training at a district or building level, TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports requests that the district reimburse TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports for travel and provide the participants with training materials. Please contact Jane Goetz for more information.
6. TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports staff (Lee Stickle, Jane Goetz, Mary Woodworth, Sarah Hoffmeier, Lori Chambers, Susan Danner, Peggy Lawrence and Linda Wilkerson) are also available to provide direct consultation for individual students when the local district has exhausted their resources. We request that a member of the district's autism team be present during the consultation. In order to request a consultation please fill out the online consultation request or download the Request for Consultation Packet and return it to TASN Autism and Tertiary Behavior Supports.